I Have a Photo Session... What Should I Wear?
My recommendation? “Three Colors + POP”
1. Pick three colors (one being a neutral) and put together outfits with those colors only. More than 3 colors can seem a bit busy. Neutrals include black, white, gray, khaki, etc.
2. Add in an unexpected POP of color. A young girls’ purple boots would fit the bill. Would I wear purple boots? Probably not. Adorable on little girls? Yes. Be aware that this POP will become a focal point in the picture, so I would not advise adding this color in an area that you don’t want others to look at too closely.
3. It is okay to mix solids and simple patterns. I know a lot of photographers might argue with me on this one, but I like to think that SIMPLE patterns add interest and texture to a picture. If you stick to a color scheme, everything just naturally blends together.
I must make a disclaimer: RULES CAN BE BROKEN. I will say that these guidelines generally work well to produce a cohesive, vibrant family portrait; a modern take on the whole “white shirts and blue jeans”, if you will.
1. Think coordinating, not matching (although I had been known to match my girls when they were little just because it was darn cute).
2. Try and pick colors that complement the surrounding environment. If you want to take this one step further (if you plan on displaying this picture in your home), try and choose colors that will compliment your home décor. My home is decorated with a lot of neutrals; thus, I would never pick neon colors for our outfits. Of course I’m exaggerating, but you get the point.
3. Use your brightest colors as accessories. You don’t want the brightest colors detracting from the most important part of the picture: the PEOPLE!
So, that’s it! Hopefully, the above tips will help you do a little advance planning for what to wear for family photo-shoots to create a beautiful family portrait you can be proud of.
What to bring to all the sessions:
A fun, playful, positive attitude, lots of smiles, and any props or furniture items you think might add personality to your family session. Please contact me to discuss your prop ideas in advance.
What to bring to your family session:
Please bring ANY wardrobe items you think might work, and together we can choose which will photograph best to give you a nice variety of images. Bring your baby’s whole closet if you’d like! You are invited to browse my pinterest boards that have fun wardrobe ideas for boys and girls. You may also bring your child’s favorite toy, book, snack, treat or small drink to the session to help them feel comfortable.